Wednesday 19 October 2011

The Married Couple by Maaike Schoorel...

Maaike_Schoorel.png

When I first saw Maaike Schoorel's artwork at the Saatchi earlier on this year, I remember at first glance that I thought it was just a series of canvases with a few dirty marks scrubbed onto them. However, when I took a closer look I began to discover outlines of a little town, people's faces etc. So when I saw her work in the British Art Show 7 in Plymouth Museum and Art Gallery I was quite excited. I chose this image, 'The Married Couple', to share because, for me, there is a hidden message behind the subtle painting. A life of someone is very private, we only see what they allow us to see. The same with a couple, their relationship is private - we are not always shown the true state that they are in. Are they happy? Or are they having troubles? etc. So what I get from this faded image of a Married Couple is a metaphor for the secrecy of a life or in this case, a relationship. The faded oil brush strokes symbolise the brief glance that we get into the lives of others but I think that they also represent the fragility of a life and a relationship. The artwork is predominantly black which is such a dense colour, and so I feel that it represents the blanket between what we are shown of and what is hidden by the people that we meet everyday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment